Frequently Asked Questions
What is Functional Medicine?
As a catalyst in the transformation of healthcare, functional medicine takes a comprehensive
approach to prevention, health, and well-being; treats root causes of disease; and restores
healthy function through a personalized patient experience — all while being a vital partner
to conventional medicine.
If you want to know more you can visit the Institute for Functional Medicine (IFM) to know more: https://www.ifm.org/functional-medicine/
What is Naturopathic Nutrition?
Naturopathic medicine is a distinct system of primary health care – an art, science and philosophy. It is also the practice of assessing the causes of disease and providing therapeutic protocols to address root causes rather than just symptoms, and identifying ways to help prevent illness. It is distinguished by the guiding principles that underlie and determine naturopathic practice:
- Work with the healing power of nature, trusting the body’s inherent powers of recovery when obstacles to cure are removed.
- Identify the cause – address the underlying cause of illness rather than just treating symptoms.
- First do no harm – use the most natural, least toxic and least invasive therapies first.
- Support the whole person – assess not just the physical condition but also factors that influence health and well-being.
- Therapist as teacher – educate people in the art of self-care and the steps they need to take to achieve optimal health.
- Prevention – encourage the promotion of health and prevention of disease.
These principles and philosophies result in a practice that acknowledges each person is an individual and empowers them to accept greater responsibility in their own health care.
Source: Naturopathic Nutrition association (NNA) https://www.nna-uk.com/about/what-is-naturopathic-nutrition#:~:text=Naturopathic%20Nutrition%20is%20the%20practice,eating%20is%20a%20healing%20art.
Why do you focus on chronic stress & chronic illnesses?
We live in a society that grossly underestimates the impact of chronic stress on health and the detrimental impact in can have on individuals as well as their families. I have experienced this first hand, which made me realize I had been living a subpar life for decades by accepting severe symptoms like fatigue, migraines, hormonal imbalance and chronic pain as a normal price to pay for having a busy life. After I healed from burnout, it was like a veil had been lifted off my face.
I want to help others manage their stress so it doesn’t reach to a point where we talk about disease and for others who might have reached that stage, help their bodies become more resilient with the right nutrients and lifestyle practices so we can mitigate or reverse the impacts of chronic stress.
What can I expect from a consultation with you?
I absolutely love first consultations and getting to know my clients on a personal level.
Aside from discussing your symptoms and medical history, I’ll aim to understand who you are, what you do, where you came from since day 0 i.e. the day you were born. All of these details can provide priceless clues on the probable root causes and onset of disease and symptoms.
Many of my clients tell me that just by telling me their stories in the first session they already feel better; I will be there to listen and articulate how I can support you. We’ll have plenty of time for questions and to agree on an approach that works for you in your current lifestyle and stage of life.
What can you offer clients versus other practitioners?
There are amazing practitioners out there, many of whom I worked with in my personal healing journey; each will all bring a different approach to health. My approach has three cornerstones my clients hugely benefit from:
- Compassionate approach to health – I will listen to them, as the answers usually are in the story every client has to tell
- A strategic and tactical approach to health – I will work on your long-term health as a priority but I will provide support to alleviate symptoms where possible.
- A curious and clever mind – I like diving into the biology and biochemistry behind symptoms and illnesses, I will do this with the tailored used of functional testing but also based on symptomatology.
One thing to bear in mind is that in your healing journey you will likely require different practitioners at different stages, allow each of them to take you as further as possible and be receptive of referrals to other practitioners.